Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball continues to struggle, dropping seventh straight game

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    In a bind | Despite her 24-point performance, first-year guard Carolyn Binder's offensive performance was not enough for the Lions.

After giving up its last five games, the women’s basketball team (1-7) was looking to finish its four game road trip on a strong note against Saint Francis (6-2) in Brooklyn yesterday but ended up falling 73-47 to the Terriers.

Out of the gates, the Terriers looked dominant offensively, both in their half-court game and in transition. Adding to Columbia’s pain were its own turnover issues, which were evident early on in the game. The Lions recorded their seventh turnover only 30 seconds after scoring their seventh point.

After being down by 11 at halftime, the Lions were able to force some Terrier turnovers and managed to find open first-year guard Carolyn Binder several times. At one point, the deficit was reduced to five, but that was the best it ever got for Columbia.

Saint Francis guard Sarah Benedetti led the charge against the Light Blue that sparked a 13-0 run for the Terriers in the beginning of the second half. During the run, Benedetti knocked down three of her four three-pointers.

The Terriers utilized a balanced scoring attack to defeat their opponents—something they have been doing all year. Leading scorers for Saint Francis were Benedetti, Jaymee Veney, and Eilidh Simpson with 14, 13, and 12 points, respectively.

Although the Light Blue offense put on a lackluster performance overall, Binder continued to demonstrate her talent by leading all scorers with 24 points. Fellow first-year Carolyn Gallagher got more minutes on the court than she has had all season. She made good use of the time, coming off the bench to score six points—the second-highest of any Lion.

Senior guard Taylor Ward didn’t contribute very much to the score, but she filled the stat sheet in almost every other place. Ward finished the game with six rebounds, five assists, and three steals to lead the Lions in each of these categories.

The Light Blue is in action again on Saturday at home against Colgate.

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports