Sports | Women's Swimming and Diving

Women's swimming heads to Tennessee for nationals

• Kimberly Flores / Senior Staff Photographer
    Gaffe-Free | Mikaila Gaffey will compete in three events this weekend at nationals.

The women’s swimming team (3-0, 3-0 Ivy) will cap off their 2013 calendar year this weekend at the AT&T U.S. Winter National Championships in Nashville.

The Lions, who have dominated Ivy League foes Harvard, Yale, and Penn to jump to a 3-0 start, will face top teams from around the nation at an event that includes five relays and 13 individual events. Junior Salena Huang and senior Aileen Smith will be facing Olympic competition in the 500 freestyle—their fellow competitors include gold-medal winners Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky.

On Friday, the second day of competition, Columbia swimmers will be competing in seven events, with four Lions participating both in the 400 individual medley and the 100 breaststroke. Plenty of fresh faces will be among those competing, with first-years Trudi Patrick (a Spectator sports writer), Jennifer Shahar, Celia Frick, and Gabbie Toback scheduled to be in the water.

While Nationals will take place this Thursday to Saturday, several members of the team will remain close to home this weekend to take part in the 2013 ECAC Preseason Championships. The Lions will be up against 17 teams from the surrounding area, including NYU, Manhattan College, and St. Francis College. The competition will be held in the Bronx at Lehman College from Friday to Sunday.

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports