Sports | Fencing

Fencing participates in Brandeis Invitational after strong home opener

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Staff Photographer
    fabulous foilists | After winning four of five at its own Columbia Invitational, Light Blue fencing will challenge Johns Hopkins, MIT, Brandeis, and Air Force.

After starting the season at home on a high note, Columbia fencing will hit the road to participate in the Brandeis Invitational. 

Two weekends ago, the Lions dominated at the Columbia Invitational, winning four of the afternoon’s five contests. 

The men’s squad defeated Princeton, the defending national champions, by a score of 19-8, while the women’s team nearly edged Princeton, but fell 14-13. 

The men’s squad won its two other matches, as the Lions dominated New Jersey Institute of Technology, 24-3, and Stevens, 23-4. 

The women’s squad, meanwhile, made up for its loss to Princeton with a 24-3 victory over NJIT. 

This weekend, the Lions will face some strong competition. In their first competition of the year, Johns Hopkins’ men and women’s squads combined to go 9-1 in the Johns Hopkins Invite. The women’s squad posted a 5-0 record, while the men’s squad lost its only match to Stevens.

Air Force hasn’t competed as a team yet this season, but some of its members have fenced in individual tournaments. Likewise, Boston College hasn’t competed this season. 

Brandeis and MIT both competed fairly well at the Northeast Fencing Conference Tournament on Nov. 16, posting records of 9-2 and 7-4, respectively. Brandeis tied for first place in the tournament.

On the women’s side, Columbia sophomore Jackie Dubrovich has dominated so far this season, while juniors Michael Josephs and Will Spear have done the same on the men’s side. 

All three Lions stand 6-0 on the season.

Both squads will compete on Sunday in Waltham, Mass. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @ICKitman