Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball falls at home to Colgate

• Yue Ben / Staff Photographer
    Outside shot | Junior Miwa Tachibana puts up a three-pointer and senior Courtney Bradford jockeys for position down low. Tachibana led the Light Blue with 11 points, and Bradford passed 500 career rebounds against Colgate.

The women’s basketball team (1-8) dropped its eighth straight game on Saturday against Colgate. Its anemic offensive performance led to a 28-point differential in the 72-44 loss.

The Lions jumped out to an 8-4 lead in the first half, led by senior forward Courtney Bradford, who grabbed two offensive boards and accounted for four of Columbia’s first eight points. But after that, Colgate took control and never looked back. 

“We give up points defensively. We’re not talented enough right now to regain those points. We have very little room for error,” head coach Stephanie Glance said.

The Raiders put up a 17-7 run, but then the Lions put together a 6-1 run of their own before halftime, finding themselves down only six at the break.

[Related: Men's basketball drops another close contest on Saturday]

But Columbia couldn’t find the basket following the intermission, shooting just 30 percent from the field. 

To put it simply, “We don’t have a lot of scoring ability,” Glance said.

Colgate’s 14-0 run in the second half put the game out of reach for the Lions. 

“Basketball is a game of runs,” Glance said. “Unfortunately, we’re not going to be able to score enough points, because that’s what being a new program is about. That’s the place we’re in right now.”

The team’s leading scorer, first-year guard Carolyn Binder, was held scoreless until she hit two free throws with 4:34 remaining in the game. Junior guard Miwa Tachibana led the Light Blue offensively with 11 points after a scoreless performance of her own against St. Francis earlier in the week. 

“She’s had a little up-and-down this season,” Glance said of Tachibana. “She can get off shots against people. She’s been getting them off all season.”

One bright spot for Columbia came in the game’s opening minutes, when Bradford grabbed her first rebound of the game and 500th of her collegiate career. With 503 rebounds, she needs only nine more to enter Columbia’s all-time top 10.

The Light Blue will next travel to New Rochelle to face Iona on Monday night. Last year the Lions went into their matchup with the Gaels with an identical 1-8 record. A second-half drive fell just short of carrying them to victory as they lost 67-63.

Tipoff is at 7 p.m. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports