Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball looking to make it 2 in a row versus Lehigh

• One for the Books | Senior forward Courtney Bradford is one rebound away from tying Kate Day Benvenuto, CC ’03, Business ’12, for 10th on Columbia's all-time list.

The Columbia women (2-9) will be looking for their first home victory of the season when they take on Lehigh (7-3) Saturday.

When they were last in action, the Lions snapped a nine-game losing streak against Kennesaw State on Dec. 21 with a 78-61 win. Sophomore guard Sara Mead and senior guard Taylor Ward both tallied season-high point totals, contributing to a strong offensive performance.

Lehigh will bring its own high-powered offense into Levien. The Mountain Hawks are averaging 76.5 points per game, led by forward Kerry Kinek. Kinek has posted double-digit scoring totals in every game so far this season. 

Historically, Columbia has struggled against this Patriot League opponent, going 3-10 all time against the Mountain Hawks. Last year, facing Lehigh on the road, Columbia fell behind early in the first half following an 11-0 run by the Mountain Hawks and eventually lost the game 58-33.

The Lions haven’t come away with a victory at home against Lehigh since a 62-61 triumph in the 2002-03 season.

In Saturday's match-up, senior forward Courtney Bradford will likely move up in the Light Blue record books. She needs just one rebound to tie Katie Day Benvenuto, CC ’03, Business ’12, for 10th in school history with 512 career boards. 

Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. in Levien Gymnasium.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports