Sports | Women's Basketball

With second-half offensive lull, Light Blue falls to Bryant

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Taylor Made | Senior guard Taylor Ward led Columbia with 14 points, but she was unable to pick up the Light Blue offense in the second half.

The women’s basketball team (3-10) was unable to take advantage of a strong final 10 minutes of the first half, falling apart offensively in the second half en route to a 68-47 home loss to Bryant (5-6).

After falling behind by 13 less than 10 minutes into the game, the Lions went on an 18-4 run to grab a one-point halftime lead. Senior guard Taylor Ward picked up 10 of Columbia’s final 12 points of the half, and opened the second half with a jumper to put the Light Blue up by three.

But that was as good as it got for the hosts. After a competitive next few minutes, the visitors went on a big run of their own, outscoring Columbia 22-4 over slightly more than nine minutes to grab a commanding 56-41 lead with under six minutes to go.

Bryant pushed its lead to 20 and beyond in the final minute as the Lions simply could not make their shots. The Light Blue made only six field goals in the final 20 minutes while surrendering 18. It also committed 20 turnovers over the course of the game. The Bulldogs, meanwhile, only committed 12 turnovers and had 18 assists on their 29 field goals for the game.

The Light Blue is next in action Sunday, hosting Stony Brook.