Sports | Men's Basketball

Men's basketball extends winning streak to 3

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    elevating his game | Sophomore guard Maodo Lo scored a career-best 29 points to lead the Light Blue.

On Wednesday, the men's basketball team (10-6) put together yet another impressive performance, defeating two-time defending America East champion Stony Brook 68-63.

The game was tightly contested for almost the entire 40 minutes. At the beginning of each half, the Seawolves (9-6) put together a pair of successful possessions to take four-point leads before the Lions got on the board. But four points was as big as Stony Brook's lead got, thanks in large part to the efforts of junior forward Alex Rosenberg and sophomore guard Maodo Lo. Rosenberg scored 16 of his 24 points in the first half, while Lo scored 21 of his 29 in the second.

But Columbia couldn't pull away, either. It did take a seven-point lead late in the first half after a layup from Rosenberg, who posted his third consecutive 20-point performance. But the Seawolves cut the Lions' lead back to one by halftime. And for most of the second half, the Light Blue could not extend its slim one-possession and two-possession leads despite knocking down nine threes, including five from Lo.

The Lions finally got some separation thanks to their free-throw shooting. Leading 62-58 with just over two minutes to go, Rosenberg knocked down a pair of free throws to extend Columbia's lead to six, and after a Stony Brook free throw, Lo knocked down four more in the final minute to put Columbia up by nine with 10 seconds to go, sealing the win.

Columbia hosts Division II opponent Central Pennsylvania on Saturday before beginning Ivy play a week later against Cornell.

muneeb.alam@columbiaspectator.com | @muneebalamcu

Robert Pelletreau posted on

All lion fans should be jumping up and down in praise of Coach Smith! Let's give him a hand for he has transformed the program! Don't you remember all the losers who coached before him? ( See Armand Hill and Joe Jones)

+1
+2
-1
You voted '+1'.
Deja vu alum posted on

Agree that smith is doing a great job. Saw the michigan st and St. John's games on TV. The team plays hard for him. But let's see how the team does in ivy play. Very guard heavy offense. Rebounding and lack of strong inside play could be an issue on a night when threes aren't falling. No seniors on the squad. They may be a year away. But beating stony brook is a real quality win and says they are for real.

+1
-1
-1

+1
+2
-1