Sports | Men's Basketball

Men's basketball beats Central Penn in final nonconference game

• Yue Ben / Staff Photographer
    sharp shooting | Sophomore guard Maodo Lo hit seven of Columbia's record 18 threes.

On Saturday, while four Ivy rivals started conference play, the men's basketball team (11-6) got a bit of a break, taking on Central Pennsylvania, a Division II opponent.

The Lions used the opportunity to set a school record for three-pointers made in a single game, knocking down 18 en route to their fourth straight win, 104-78 over the visiting Knights (8-7).

Despite the electric shooting from long range, and despite trailing for only 16 seconds, Columbia couldn't pull away until late in the first half, when it scored 28 points in the final 6:24.

The Light Blue led 28-25 with under seven minutes left in the first half. Junior forward Alex Rosenberg converted on an old-fashioned three-point play and sophomore guard Maodo Lo connected from long range to stretch Columbia's lead to nine. Layups from first-year forward Luke Petrasek and junior center Cory Osetkowski, plus a trey and a pair of free throws from Osetkowski, pushed Columbia's lead into double figures for the first time. A three from junior guard Meiko Lyles a few moments later put the Light Blue ahead by double figures permanently.

While the team didn't shoot the three particularly well in the second half—hitting only six of 23 attempts, compared to 12 of 17 in the first half—it did manage to get high-percentage looks at the rim, with 10 layups and two dunks accounting for its 12 two-point field goals.

Lo led the Lions with 23 points, including 7-11 shooting from long range. Sophomore guard Grant Mullins added 20 points and four threes, while Rosenberg added 19 and three treys in the record-setting performance.

Columbia is next in action on Saturday, hosting Cornell.

muneeb.alam@columbiaspectator.com | @muneebalamcu

Puzzled Alum posted on

Great game and good non-Ivy season--now here's hoping for the Ivy games!

+1
-8
-1
You voted '-1'.
Larry posted on

Time of BR game?

+1
+3
-1