Sports | Swimming and Diving

Swimming and diving beats Cornell

• Deniz Rosenberger / Staff Photographer
    everybody loves ray | Sophomore Christina Ray took first in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle.

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams celebrated their homecomings with dominating wins against Cornell on Saturday, 184.5-115.5 and 197-94, respectively. 

For the women’s team (4-0, 4-0 Ivy), the win was its fourth in a row to begin the season, and its 10th consecutive win at home, dating back to last season. Led by sophomore Christina Ray’s three wins, including two individual wins in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle, the Lions finished first in 14 of the 16 total events. 

The entire team contributed strong performances. Even the first-years chipped in with six wins, including Celia Frick’s first place finishes in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke.

“The hallmark of this team so far this year has been that it’s always a complete team effort,” head coach Diana Caskey said. “We’re only as strong as our weakest link.” 

Meanwhile, the men’s team (4-2, 2-2 Ivy) won its second consecutive game. The Lions won 11 of 16 total events, including wins in all five freestyle events—three of which were sweeps of the top three finishes.

Junior David Jakl led the Lions with individual wins in the 50-yard free and 100-yard individual medley events, as well as the relay win in the 400-yard medley.

The win capped off a homecoming celebration that included the honoring of head coach Jim Bolster for his 30 years of leading the program, during which 65 new school records have been set.

Both teams look to continue their winning streaks next Saturday, when the Lions head to Providence to face Brown.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports