Sports | Track

Track begins spring season on a high note

The women’s track and field team started the indoor season with a convincing win over two Ivy rivals this weekend. 

Several veterans—part of the team which won the first Ivy title in program history two years ago—were in top form at the Leverone Field House in Hanover, N.H., including junior Nadia Eke, who skipped her usual triple jump for the long jump, and senior Marvellous Iheukwumere, who won the 60-meter and 200-meter dashes.

“I think it was a good season opener, in terms of getting the freshmen’s confidence up and setting us up for what’s to come throughout the year,” Eke said.

While results at Heps are ultimately what matters most, Ivy track and field teams get a glimpse of league competition in season openers. The men’s and women’s teams took on Dartmouth and Yale. While the women defeated both opponents, on the men’s side the Big Green dominated Columbia and the Elis.

For Eke—who this season will compete in her secondary event, the long jump, more than she has in the past—it doesn’t hurt to know the competition she’s up against, but it doesn’t affect the way she jumps.

“I guess it’s good, because you get familiar with the people,” Eke, who won the event over Yale’s more experienced Amanda Snajder, said. “But at the same time, to me, I treat every competition as its own. Whether it’s a season opener or NCAAs, I’m still going to treat it the same.”

The women won a number of other events, including the 4x400 meter relay, the mile, and the 60-meter hurdles.

The men’s team, which generally excels in the middle- and long-distance events, crushed the 1,000-meter run, with junior Brendon Fish, senior John Gregorek, and junior Daniel Everett taking the top three spots. The 4x800 meter relay team of Gregorek, Fish, Everett, and senior Harry McFann won this weekend with a time of 7:45.87.

The Lions are next in action Friday, at the Armory in Washington Heights for the NYU Team Challenge.

finn.vigeland@columbiaspectator.com | @fvigeland

Correction: An earlier version of this article mistakenly listed junior Connor Claflin as a member of the 4x800 meter relay team that won this weekend. An earlier version also included a photo and incorrectly identified junior Nadia Eke as the athlete in the photo. Spectator regrets the errors.