Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball teams hit the court for conference play

Conference play started up as winter breaks came to an end for Ivy League women’s basketball competitors.

Harvard (11-4, 1-0 Ivy) held on to defeat Dartmouth (3-12, 0-1 Ivy), 73-63, in the league’s first game. Crimson forward Temi Fagbenle led the team with 21 points, earning a spot on the week’s Ivy League Honor Roll.

Both teams went on to defeat NJIT in out-of-conference play, as Harvard crushed the Highlanders 75-56 and Dartmouth captured its 48-45 victory in the game’s final minute.

Perennial champion Princeton (10-5, 1-0 Ivy) began its campaign for a fifth-straight Ivy League title with an 84-53 win over Penn (8-5, 0-1 Ivy) on Jan. 11. Tigers guard Blake Dietrick, who earned her first career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds, was honored as the Ivy League Player of the Week for the third time this season.

The following week, Yale (7-8, 1-0 Ivy) pulled away to defeat Brown (6-9, 0-1 Ivy), 70-53. The Bulldogs capitalized on the exceptional play of center Emmy Allen, who finished with her first career double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds, and guard Janna Graf, who dominated on both ends of the floor with 16 points, six rebounds, and two blocks. Graf was named Co-Player of the Week, her eighth career Ivy League weekly award.

This week Penn concludes its nonconference schedule, facing Temple and NJIT. Brown travels to New Haven to take on Yale Jan. 24, and the next day Harvard will take on Dartmouth and Columbia will face Cornell for a rematch in Ithaca. Columbia beat Cornell last weekend 71-64.

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports

Larry posted on

Spectrum confines the Lions' WBB win to the last line! after reviewing other Ivy games!!

+1
-1
-1