Sports | Fencing

No. 1 men's fencing continues to dominate at NYU Invitational

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    on the offensive | Junior Nzingha Prescod helped the Columbia women's fencing team take home two 4-1 victories this weekend.

Columbia fencing passed its weekend test with flying colors, nearly sweeping the opposition on both Saturday and Sunday. 

The men’s squad went a perfect 5-0 at the NYU Invitational, while the Light Blue women’s squad narrowly missed the same score thanks to a 15-12 loss to Ohio State. 

“They really fought, and they battled for every touch,” head coach Michael Aufrichtig said of the Lions.

The No. 1 Columbia men’s team controlled the event, starting with a 17-10 victory over North Carolina and a 17-10 win against No. 4 Notre Dame. It also dominated No. 6 Ohio State, Wayne State, and No. 7 St. John’s. 

The No. 6 women’s team, meanwhile, tallied a 16-11 upset over No. 3 Notre Dame, toppled No. 7 Northwestern, and also beat Wayne State and No. 10 St. John’s.  

Sunday brought another stellar performance by both squads at the St. John’s Cup. The men’s team, though no longer undefeated after losing to Penn State, walked away 4-1 from the competition. The Columbia women’s squad also went 4-1, its only loss coming against Ohio State for the second straight day. 

“I am a true believer that Columbia is back,” Aufrichtig said. “Both squads have a shot at Ivies and a chance to qualify for NCAAs. The teams were phenomenal, and we’re really looking forward to the remainder of the season.”

The Lions will host the Historical Meet on Feb. 5 at the University Gym.

Correction: A previous version of this article said that the women's fencing team lost to Harvard on Sunday. It actually lost to Ohio State. Spectator regrets the error.   

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports

Columbia traditionally has one of the best if not the best fencing program in the nation. Definitely the best in the ivies.

+1
+1
-1

Women only lost to OSU, we beat Harvard

+1
+2
-1
sports posted on

Thanks for pointing that out. The article has been updated to reflect the change.

+1
-4
-1