Sports | Fencing

Prescod wins silver medal at Gdansk Grand Prix

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    final two | Junior foilist Nzingha Prescod survived some close calls before falling in the final.

A number of Columbia fencers competed at World Cup tournaments over the weekend. Their performances were highlighted by that of 2012 Olympian Nzingha Prescod, who won the silver medal at the Gdansk Grand Prix World Cup in Poland. 

The 12th seed in the 100-foilist tournament, the junior entered the final eight as the lowest seed left. She upset top seed Inna Deriglazova, 15-14, in the quarterfinal, improving her record against the Russian to 4-0 over the past four World Cup seasons. Prescod then defeated fifth seed Larisa Korobeynikova, 15-11, before falling, 15-8, to second seed and defending Senior World Champion Arianna Errigo in the final to take the silver medal. It is the Brooklyn native’s second World Cup medal—she took gold at the Marseille Grand Prix last year—and this year it improved her world ranking to No. 6.

Prescod’s Light Blue teammate, sophomore Margaret Lu, took 39th at the same tournament. Fellow sophomore foilist Jackie Dubrovich took third and first-year Sara Taffel took eighth at the Junior World Cup in Lyon, France, while sophomore sabrist Geoffrey Loss took third in the men’s Junior World Cup in Phoenix, Ariz.

The Light Blue is next in action on Wednesday, hosting the Historical Meet in the University Gym—a prelude to the Ivy Championships next weekend.

muneeb.alam@columbiaspectator.com | @muneebalamcu