Sports | Women's Basketball

WEEKEND PREVIEW: Squash, Swimming and Diving, Wrestling, Archery, Women's Basketball, Track and Field

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    Going for two | Women's basketball plays two games at home, while wrestling and swimming and diving hit the road.

Track and field competes at the Armory this weekend, while women's basketball has two home games. Wrestling faces Cornell on the road, while squash and swimming and diving have two competitions each.

Column—Melissa Cheung

He had everything going for him. All-American looks. A beautiful wife and two children. Records upon records in the books, and honors rendering him one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, including five NFL MVP trophies and 13 Pro-Bowl selections. Of course, it wouldn’t be a complete picture without a Super Bowl ring, which, naturally, he has.

We’re talking about Peyton Manning here—one of the most-liked guys in football, or any sport, for that matter.

I remember two weeks ago when Denver defeated the Patriots 26-16, and my dad said, "If the Broncos play like this [in two weeks], no one will be able to beat them. They’re just too good."

Then Sunday happened...(Read more)

Squash—Eli Schultz / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Both Light Blue squash teams will close out their 2013-14 regular seasons this weekend...(Read more)

Swimming and Diving—Phil Godzin / Spectator Staff Writer

The men’s and women’s diving teams will compete at Princeton on Friday before finishing their regular season at home against Dartmouth on Sunday in their final tune-up before the Ivy League Championships.

The women’s team (5-0) is just one weekend away from completing its first undefeated season in program history. The Tigers are the biggest challenge standing in the way as they are third in the league at 4-2. Dartmouth is winless in conference play, but is 6-1 in non-conference meets.

“It’s important in that it would be the first time in the program,” associate head coach Michael Sabala said...(Read more)

Wrestling—Ben Sheng / Spectator Staff Writer

The wrestling team (6-3, 3-2 EIWA) will put its five-meet winning streak on the line against No. 4 Cornell (9-0, 7-0 EIWA) this Saturday.

After a tight win over Bucknell two weeks ago, the Lions will have their hands full against the seven-time defending conference champion Big Red, which is coming off a 36-7 pounding of Princeton (5-2, 5-2 EIWA) last weekend.

According to Amateur Wrestling News, Cornell boasts eight wrestlers ranked in the top 20 in their weight classes. Columbia has two: No. 10 junior Shane Hughes at 174 pounds and No. 20 senior co-captain Josh Houldsworth at 165 pounds.

Head coach Carl Fronhofer said the odds don’t affect how the team prepares for the meet...(Read more)

Archery—Muneeb Alam / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

At the beginning of a new season, archery head coach Derek Davis said he is feeling good about the team’s prospects.

“Energy-wise, the team is really solid,” he said. “Everybody is getting along. We’re training hard.”

The team is coming off another national championship in recurve—its fourth title in that division in nine seasons...(Read more)

Women's Basketball—Kyle Perrotti / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The women’s basketball team (4-14, 1-3 Ivy) has its work cut out this weekend. Columbia will take on two of the best teams in the Ivy League, Princeton (11-6, 2-1 Ivy) and Penn (12-5, 2-1), in a pair of home contests.

Although the Tigers and the Quakers sit alongside three other teams at the top of the standings with one conference loss, they both have distinguished themselves as top contenders through consistently solid play. Princeton boasts the Ancient Eight’s best scoring offense, while Penn’s defense is the best in the conference.

“Their programs are far ahead of ours in their development right now. That means that player-for-player, we’ll see a lot of mismatches. That’s the reality of it,” Light Blue head coach Stephanie Glance said...(Read more)

Track and Field—Finn Vigeland / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

If there’s a weekend to shatter your PRs, it’s this one.

Track and field head coach Willy Wood expects some personal records to be broken this weekend, as the team sends delegations to the prestigious Armory Collegiate Invitational and the Giegengack Invitational at Yale. Athletes from 92 schools and a number of local racing clubs will be competing at the Armory in the two-day meet, while fewer than a dozen schools will head to New Haven on Saturday.

The runners’ goal is to keep lowering their seed times week to week, allowing them to run in even more competitive races, motivating the runners to run even faster. Wood says this is the weekend to PR, in order to run fast enough to qualify for NCAAs, scheduled for the weekend of March 14...(Read more)

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports