Sports | Track

Gregorek finishes 10th in Wanamaker Mile

In front of a sold-out crowd, senior John Gregorek ran a decent mile on Saturday but was outmatched by the steep competition.

A ticket to the Millrose Games is one of track’s most coveted, especially the Wanamaker Mile, which for 85 years was run at Madison Square Garden. Now at the Armory—where Gregorek's teammates competed on Friday—the Wanamaker drew a speedy field on Saturday, including Gregorek.

The top Light Blue harrier finished 10th of 12 in 4:04.70, three seconds off his personal record. But he took it all, literally, in stride.

“It was a humbling experience because you realize to get to be at that level is pretty incredible,” he said. “It gives me hope for the future, just knowing I was there and I was with the pack for a bit. Still, it’s a process.”

Gregorek was at the back of the huddle from the start. He said he was running at PR pace, but “once I kind of lost track of the pack, it was tough to maintain the pace, and I just fell apart a little bit.”

Two-time National Indoor champion Will Leer, running for Nike, won in 3:52.47. Also in the race were the last two Olympic silver medalists in the 1,500 meters.

But Gregorek savored being a part of the historic meet. “The crowd was great overall,” he said. “I don’t think I let it get to me too much, but it definitely helps, the energy.”

He’ll race next week in the 1,200-meter leg of the distance medley relay. His next shot at the mile will be at the Ivy League Championships on March 1.

finn.vigeland@columbiaspectator.com | @fvigeland