Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

After losing to Hampton, the Lions have finished their preseason with a record of 6-9.

Women’s basketball ended its preseason schedule with its third consecutive loss after losing to Hampton on Wednesday night, 60-58.

The Lions (6-9) maintained a close scoreline for most of the game, but the Pirates seized the lead for the last time with 35 seconds remaining. Columbia had two chances to tie the game in the final seconds, but senior forward Camille Zimmerman and sophomore guard/forward Stephanie Flynn failed to convert.

Despite the loss, the Lions could take away some positives from their Wednesday night performance. On offense, the Light Blue converted 46 of its total field goal attempts and an impressive 40 percent of its three-point attempts in particular. On the other end of the court, Columbia held Hampton to only a 28 percent total shooting success rate and a 13 percent success rate from behind the three-point line. The Pirates, however, generated far more field goal attempts—71 to the Lions’ 50—to win the contest.

Those field goal attempts came in part from the Lions’ 24 turnovers, which allowed Hampton to win the game with inefficient shooting. The Light Blue has struggled to keep the ball all season, averaging almost 17 turnovers per game, and the Pirates only handed them eight possessions on Wednesday night in return.

After two uncharacteristic performances in Houston, however, Zimmerman returned to form against Hampton with 12 rebounds and an overall 22-point performance. Wednesday night marks Zimmerman’s ninth double-double this season in just 15 games. Zimmerman played all 40 minutes on Wednesday night, but head coach Megan Griffith, CC ’07, may have to use her star forward more sparingly during the busy Ivy season.

The Lions have now weathered an extremely tough nonconference schedule and look prepared to open Ivy League play. They will start their conference schedule on Jan. 12, playing away against Princeton and then Penn, last year’s first- and second-place finishers, respectively.

To find success next weekend, Columbia will need offensive production from players other than Zimmerman. The Lions will look to first-year guard Riley Casey, who has averaged 10 points per game so far, and sophomore guard Maya Sampleton to provide a meaningful spark off the bench.

The Lions will tip off next Saturday in Princeton at 5:30 p.m.

anthony.montes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia Hampton Women's Basketball Preseason