Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

The Lions will look to bounce back against Dartmouth and Harvard this weekend after falling to Trinity on Wednesday.

Women’s squash ended its five-game winning streak on Wednesday after posting a 9-0 loss to No. 2 Trinity.

Columbia (5-1) was unable to capitalize on any weaknesses in the Bantams’ (5-1) play throughout the day, with six of its nine matches ending in straight sets.

Senior Tanvi Khanna dealt Trinity its greatest challenge of the match from the first position. After dropping the first two sets 4-11 and 3-11 to Trinity’s Raneem Sharaf, Khanna clinched a crucial win in the third game 12-10. She followed the recovery with a 11-8 victory in the fourth set. Despite the momentum shift, Khanna could not secure the final set, falling to Sharaf 8-11.

Columbia’s second position player, junior Maddie O’Connor, took Trinity opponent Julia Le Coq to four sets. O’Connor dropped the first set 4-11 and recovered in the second set with a 11-9 win. However, Le Coq bested O’Connor in the final two games 6-11 and 10-12, respectively.

In the ninth position, first-year Julia Masch similarly seized a set from Trinity’s Salma El Defrawy. Masch followed a 9-11 loss with a 12-10 victory in game two, but was unable to maintain a lead in the final two games, falling 9-11 and 2-11.

Sophomore Jui Kalgutkar, first-year Jane Pincus, first-year Habiba Mohamed, senior Addie Fulton, first-year Doria Chen, and junior Diana Masch played for Columbia in positions three through eight, respectively. However, none could find their footing against their Trinity opponents, and each player lost in straight games.

Despite Wednesday’s defeat, the No. 7 ranked Lions are looking ahead to their next set of critical Ivy League matches against No. 10 Dartmouth and No. 1 Harvard this weekend.

Columbia will compete against Dartmouth on Saturday followed by Harvard on Sunday. In November, the Lions played Dartmouth in the consolation semifinal match of the Ivy Scrimmages, defeating the Big Green 6-3.

The Lions have not faced the historically dominant Harvard team this season. In the program’s history, Columbia has yet to take a single game from the Crimson.

Columbia begins play against Dartmouth at 11 a.m. on Saturday in the team’s third Ivy League match of the season before taking on Harvard at 12 p.m. the following day. Both matches are set to be played at the SL Green StreetSquash Center.

alex.andrejev@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Women's squash Columbia Lions Squash