Emily Li / Staff Illustrator

Dear loyal, lovely, love-sick readers,

As you are likely (painfully) aware, it’s the day after Valentine’s Day. You might be relieved to know that there are not any articles about love in this issue. But our third issue of the semester is full of engaging stories to get your mind off the schmaltziest day of the year, if you’re so inclined.

In honor of Black History Month, our cover image celebrates the famous black alumni that have walked through the 116th street gates: Former President Barack Obama, Alicia Keys, and Lauryn Hill, among many others. But as Langston Hughes’ departure from Columbia a mere year into his college career due to racial prejudice indicates, Columbia has not always welcomed a diverse and talented student body. Though the University has increasingly admitted more students of color over the years, the school has had a “whites-only” past. Alexander McNab, in his historical feature, looks into this history and how Columbia is facing it today.

But, like all other issues of Volume XXII, Issue 3 cannot entirely escape the shadow of Trump. Arminda Downey-Mavromatis’ piece on the Centre for Climate and Life looks at climate science funding in this new era of climate change denial.

On the lighter note, Eliza Solomon’s literary essay reflects on the first three months of the phenomenon that is columbia buy sell memes. She takes us through personal narratives and academic discourse on memes (we love memes) as well as interviews with the founders and meme-makers of the page to try and determine the place that the comedic group currently has in our community.

Finally, this week’s View From Here features a guest writer, editor in chief of Hoot Magazine Anisa Tavangar. Her thoughtful piece examines her experiences of being called “intimidating” for being confident and outspoken during her time at Barnard, and how several women in her life have also grappled with this sexist label.

And that about wraps up our issue... Fine, we’ll come clean. We thought we could get away with not talking about romance the day after posting ironic Valentine’s Day memes, but those discounted chocolate boxes at Duane Reade were just too damn tempting. In Daniela Apodaca’s roundtable discussion, The Eye investigates why, on a campus that holds such liberal values, many women still follow traditional practices in romantic relationships when it comes to texting.

Phew, it feels good to be honest. Enjoy this week’s issue and follow us on our new Instagram account @theeye.mag to get an exclusive look at our beautiful content right on your mobile devices.

Have fun leafing through our third issue, and subscribe to our new weekly newsletter, As We See It!

letter from the editors the eye issue 3