Vic Ingram / Staff Illustrator

Dear readers,

We’ve got to be honest: We almost decided to not publish this week’s issue because of the emotional turmoil of Sunday night’s Oscar’s “gaffe” (which, really, is just a posh word for fuckery).

But alas, the grind goes on and so do we. Unlike Jimmy Kimmel’s throw-away jokes, we have a thoughtful and poignant issue ready for you to read.

This week’s lead tackles the legacy of Barnard’s seventh president in 127 years (How is this possible? Unsure.), Debora Spar. How has her brand of feminism shaped the direction which the women’s college has taken over the past nine years? And perhaps, more importantly, how will the future president meet the more intersectional needs of Barnard’s students and faculty when they step onto Barnard’s campus?

Matthew Petti’s intriguing essay, “Creating an Emergency” intertwines his personal experience with the protests at JFK airport following Trump’s immigration ban with an analysis of the networks that made the demonstrations possible. His findings are varied and revealing, but we were personally struck by the idea that the protest was a reclamation of the airport as a space dominated by fear.

Of course, the occupation of space holds meaning in ways beyond protest. Molly Miller’s feature, “Praying for Space,” looks closely at the religious spaces—or the lack thereof—on campus and their interaction with the participation of different faiths.

In “No-Man’s Land,” Philipp Steinmann takes a walk through Morningside Park. Did you know the pond there was originally an excavation site for a gym that the University was trying to build, one that many called “Gym Crow”? Read through for more of the park’s fraught history.

Madeline King profiles India Choquette, her widely beloved fitness instructor. You might recognize her by her shock of blue hair, her dynamism, or her smile as wide as her plie.Experience one of Choquette’s classes in this piece, and hear about Choquette’s philosophies on fitness and academia.

In this week’s moving View From Here, Ben Vanden Heuvel tells the story of finding out his floormate had passed away. With an intimate lens, Ben pulls into focus the distance we seem to maintain from the tragedies close to us.

Follow us on Instagram @theeye.mag to get a glimpse of what goes on behind-the-scenes to get this issue up online!

Love,

Ana, Parth, and Rébecca

letter from the editors letters the eye issue 5