Emily Li / Staff Illustrator

Dear jet-lagged readers,

The first day of spring has arrived!

In the spirit of renewal, we’ll be leaders,

And discard prose in favor of rhymes.

Just kidding, we’re not talented enough to submit a piece to the International Imitation Hemingway Competition no matter how hard we try. Besides, Barnard and Columbia don’t believe that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery—Krista Suh, founder of the worldwide Pussyhat Project and Barnard class of 2009 alumna clearly shows that we stand on the shoulders of trailblazers.

What’s your favorite reality TV show? Ours is probably Rich Girls on MTV—one of the leads, Jaime Gleicher, graduated from Barnard in 2011. Arminda Downey-Mavromatis talks to the teenage-star-turned-therapist about her time in the spotlight, and how her ensuing mental health challenges and experience at Barnard led her to become a dialectical behavior therapist.

In “Architecting Unhappiness,” Malino Gulino explores the surprising relationship between architecture and mental health. Her piece examines the way in which the designs of the buildings we spend most of our time in affect not only our well-being, but also our relationships to the University as a whole.

Our relationship to the University is a fraught one right now: A series of student deaths this semester has left the student body reeling. In “Learning to Care,” Molly Miller takes a look at the lack of empathy many have experienced this semester. In particular, she considers whether this empathy is something that can be academically—or otherwise—taught.

This week’s View From Here by Charlotte Goddu is a reflective piece on her experience working on a food truck the summer after her first year. Here, she reflects on the sense of achievement she felt and how that summer shaped the way she imagines her future.

Finally, this week’s lead looks into LGBTQ inclusivity in Greek life at Columbia. Alpha Chi Omega has recently made headlines by announcing its trans-inclusive policies and discontinuing its “Walk A Mile” philanthropic event, which was criticized by some students as being transphobic—but can Greek life as an institution truly be inclusive?

With every issue, our pieces get better

So please sign up for our weekly newsletter!

Love,

Ana, Parth, and Rébecca

letter from the editors