Sophia Chen / Staff Illustrator

Hello newly besweatered readers,

I hope apple picking has gone well and that you didn’t accidentally pick the one the snake asked you to. There’s a historically fraught relationship there.

Over the next two weeks, Charlotte Goddu will examine the School of General Studies’ dual BA program with Sciences Po, which is now entering its seventh year of operation and currently enrolls 246 students. In this week’s lead, she explores the first two years of the program, which students spend in one of three small towns around France.

Matthew Petti takes a historical lens to Columbia’s longstanding relationship with fascism, both its institutional support and the resistance movements on campus.

Modern campus movement is also the focus of Jordan Allyn’s profile of Mark Lilla, a Columbia professor who wrote a book this summer about identity politics on campuses and their role in the Democratic loss in the 2016 presidential election. She speaks to him, as well as to students and teachers who disagree, in order to understand the source of the backlash he has faced.

This same idea forms the basis of Emma Tueller Stone’s View From Here, in which she questions why older generations seem to be so cynical about our generation. She finds the answer may lie in language.

Eliza Solomon writes about sisterhood at Barnard—in both the mission statement sense and the genealogical sense. She talks to a few sets of sisters about attending Barnard together.

The Eye, this week, also asked three Black students at Columbia to send us video diaries of their daily experiences on campus. Alexander McNab sought to discern just how shared and just how fragmented the experiences of Black Columbians truly are.

Lastly, Madeline King takes a look at new Barnard President Sian Beilock’s research on performance anxiety, particularly as it applies to Barnard women in STEM. Many feel that Beilock’s appointment is a step in the right direction for STEM at Barnard, but what can be done inside the classroom to combat stereotype threat?

We hope this week’s issue leaves you with some food for thought.

Love,

Ana, Parth, Maya, and Rébecca

Have fun leafing through our second issue, and subscribe to our weekly newsletter, As We See It!