Sophia Chen / Staff Illustrator

Dear Grim Readers,

Absolute is (temporarily) shut down. Hung over first-years haunt the space outside Carman, where they seem to cluster like pigeons. Fall break lies just behind a barbed fence. It’s Halloween time.

In honor of this spooky holiday, former Eye deputy editor Alastair Pearson hunts for ghost stories on campus in this week’s lead by closely examining three potentially haunted residential spaces on campus. How do the students living there reckon with the possibility of the paranormal?

It’s also an exciting week for us because we’ve got some first-ever writers for you. Candy Chan profiles visual arts professor and printmaker Tomas Vu-Daniel, who has more surfboards related to the Beatles than you do any surfboards. Or Beatles albums.

Also writing for The Eye for the first time is Julian Shen-Berro, who talks to two first-years who are bringing their podcast The Laymen, a platform for nuanced political discussion, from North Dakota to New York City.

Alongside them, Sophia Cornell talks to gold nugget English professor Erik Gray, who will neither confirm nor deny the presence of a Percy Shelley tattoo on his chest.

In the spirit of Halloween, what’s scarier than having your name mispronounced? Arminda Downey-Mavromatis (or Arminda Downey-Mavromat, as her ID card suggests) looks at names (her own and those of others) and the ways in which their altering has psychological impacts.

Next, Elizabeth Merrigan asks what it means to study the Core in Hamilton Hall and in other buildings whose Western architecture has been called imperial.

In this week’s View From Here, Nadya Shahd talks about their haircut and leaving the identity of Woman entirely.

We hope you enjoy this issue as much as we have making it for you.

Love,

Rébecca, Parth, Ana, and Maya

Have fun leafing through our sixth issue and subscribe to our weekly newsletter, As We See It!

letter from the editors halloween spooky