Sophia Chen / Staff Illustrator

Dear readers,

Welcome to the Archives issue. Our pieces this week look back; from the history of jazz at Columbia to personal pasts, we endeavour to take you through histories of various scales and impacts.

This week’s lead takes a look at the Morningside Heights Community Coalition, the Community Board 9, and the local advisory board composed of volunteers, all of whom are advocating to regulate development in Morningside Heights. Columbia is the largest property owner in the neighborhood, but why are they staying mum on the issue?

We also have a new episode of The Ear! Before we were the Lions and rooted for Roaree, Columbia students rallied around Matilda the Harlem Goat, a goat that lived on 121st Street. What happened to her after she died and her body was stuffed in 1914? Listen up!

Trisha Mukherjee profiles Jamal Joseph, former Black Panther and current professor at Columbia’s School of the Arts. (Fun fact: Joseph is Tupac’s godfather.)

Next, Emile Warot visits the Cotton Club—not the original Jazz Age speakeasy, but a reincarnation under the Manhattanville viaduct. Read on for the lively history of jazz at Columbia and in the area.

In this week’s View From Here, Sofia Martins looks back at her own past and talks about homesickness: not for a place, but a lost time or feeling or memory.

But what is an Archives issue without going into some literal archives? In this week’s Blinks, our staffers trudge through Spectator’s archives to bring you bites of campus as it was.

We hope you enjoy reading this as much we did putting it together for you.

Love,

Rebecca, Ana, Maya, and Parth

Have fun leafing through our seventh issue, and subscribe to our weekly newsletter,As We See It!