Lerner Black Theater Tries a New Look

The walls have scarcely lost their new paint odor, yet the one-year-old Lerner Black Box Theatre has already become home to several student performance groups. This year the Black Box is also home for a number of high-profile playwrights, actors, and screenwriters as a part of "Inside the Black Box" a new Live at Lerner series.

Steven Schwab, manager of Media Services, said he came up with the idea of having individuals in the arts come to speak in the Black Box after watching Inside the Actors Studio on the Bravo network. Student Development and Activities approved the program this year.

So far, Schwab said response to the series has been positive. The first two events, lectures by Frances Sternhagen and John Corigliano, drew 35-40 students. He anticipates attendance and the variety of guest speakers will increase once the program gains visibility. Tomorrow the Black Box will host Tom Jones, the award-winning author of the Fantasticks, from 12-1 p.m.
The series is free and open to the Columbia community, but reservations are first come, first serve.

--Hope Glassberg

BC Posting Policy Finalized

Barnard's Student Government Association finalized a posting policy yesterday that will officially take effect on Nov. 6. The policy dictates where and how posters may be hung and lays out guidelines about poster content.

Posters in violation of these guidelines, which include stipulations such as no scotch tape on painted surfaces, will be removed. Also, students will be held responsible for any damage caused by posters which do not adhere to the guidelines.

SGA President Laila Shetty, BC '03, said groups that consistently violate the policy will not be permitted to hang posters and that any posters containing hateful or threatening content will be immediately removed. Hard copies of the policy, which has been in the works for the last six weeks, will be distributed to the entire Barnard community and all Columbia clubs.

To view the policy in detail, visit www.barnard.edu/SGA.

--Margaret Hayden

After D.C Protest, College Students Convene

In Washington D.C. on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 5 p.m. when most students were boarding buses to leave the Capitol and return to their campuses, 250-300 stayed behind to attend a meeting called by the George Washington University Anti-War Coalition.

Jessie Kindig, BC '04 and a Columbia Anti-War Coalition organizer, said the meeting was fruitful: representatives from 36 schools who held disparate political views agreed to start an e-mail listserv, creating the first intercampus anti-war network.

--Isolde Raftery