In the age of instant gratification, it's no surprise that Columbia students can get almost anything done for them. The solution to particularly taxing chores, like finding food and cleaning one's clothes, is little more than a phone call away.

"People sometimes order the most random combination of things. I once delivered a bunch of NoDoz and NyQuil to someone. He got both the upper and the downer," said Gene Kogan, SEAS '08 and the CU Snacks assistant manager. That's the downside to letting a stranger do your shopping for you-they know all about your odd spending habits and 2 a.m. Cheetos cravings.

Thanks to Columbia's ever-growing convenience culture, you can now pay someone else to do your laundry, clean your room, and deliver snacks, toiletries, and even condoms right to your door.

Thomas Anawalt, CC '09, pointed out that all the conveniences could potentially create a hermetic subculture: "It may lead to a lot of people spending a lot of time in their dorms."

Though these businesses might make some wonder about the slothfulness of Columbia students, the minds behind these services think highly of their customers.

"When you think about it, Columbia students are smart enough to know it's worth paying someone to do their laundry in order to get a few extra hours to themselves each week," said Peter Shalek, CC '07 and co-founder of Lion Laundry.

Michael Kopko, chief executive officer of DormAid, echoed this sentiment. "We serve some of the smartest kids in the country, and they realize they want to take laundry off their resumes because it won't get them job offers."

"I don't know if it's lazy or if we just shifted our expectations," Giselle Leung, SIPA '07, said. "I'm guessing it's part of the trend where you have the Internet and all this technology that makes everything easier and faster."

CU Snacks holds an edge over outside competition like local restaurants with delivery services because they deliver right to your door as long as your dorm has Columbia swipe access. According to Bo Sun, a SEAS graduate student and the CU Snacks Manager, this means you don't have to stop whatever you're doing and run down to the lobby for pickup.

"One of the other delivery people, when he went [to the dorm], he heard some noise inside the room and he knocked. They opened the door, and it turned out they were having sex when he delivered. They stopped to get the order."