The sweet scent of pancakes and eggs in the morning. Or maybe it was frittata and buttered toast. No matter what the smell, for many of us, some of the fondest memories of childhood were waking up to the inviting aromas of food cooking in the kitchen. break Back then it was usually mom, dad, or an older sibling who was making the magic happen. But now that we're on our own, the closest we get to any type of inviting morning smell is the local coffee shop that we spend all of eight minutes in before rushing to our first class. Even when we do have time to stop for a satisfying breakfast, it's usually not like the one you get at home. Every once in a while it's nice to lay back on the couch in front of the TV on a Saturday morning with some comfort food. The only problem that many of us face as college students is the foreign idea of waking up early on the weekend to make this comfort food. Not to worry, because this baked french toast dish can be prepared the night before. It's the perfect combination of the sugar-cinnamon taste that you love, and as always, the recipe is easy enough for everyone to follow. The dish is perfect for brunch with friends, especially since it makes about 12 servings and is definitely a crowd pleaser. Who knows—you may be the one making breakfast the next time you go home (which I'm sure Mom would appreciate). So although you may be surviving on coffee and Nutri-Grain bars right now, keep in mind that come Friday you could be revving up to revisit the good old days with the inviting smells of your own delectable creation. As busy as these weeks may be, make sure to take some time to pause—it's usually the small things that count the most—and remember that as always, the luxury of cooking is yours for the taking. Baked French Toast 1 1/2 sticks butter 1 1/2 c. brown sugar 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1 lg. loaf white bread 6 eggs 2 c. milk Maple syrup (optional) The night before: Melt butter, add brown sugar and cinnamon. Make a paste and spread it on the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan. Cut crust off the bread and then layer in pan, filling sides two slices high. Beat six eggs and add milk. Pour over bread and cover. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning: Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Drizzle maple syrup and broil until bubbly.

fast food for thought