Cathy Choi for Spectator

Columbia's a cappella groups, including Nonsequitur (above), perform throughout the year, including at the Tree Lighting Ceremony each winter. Now the groups are preparing for their spring concerts.

There are so many a cappella groups on campus, sometimes it's hard to keep track. With study breaks, concerts, competitions, and recordings, as well as repertoires ranging from rock to indie to gospel, each a cappella group at Columbia boasts its own particular style. A cappella with soul "We like to pride ourselves on the fact that we have a lot of soul in our songs," Joy Harrison, BC '12 and Columbia Clefhangers business manager, said. And indeed, the Clefhangers perform everything from Motown to oldies, pop, and gospel music. Their performances are diverse as well, ranging from an upcoming performance at JTS to gigs at Days on Campus and the John Jay Awards Dinner. They are recording a CD over the course of this year, and their spring concert is in Wien on May 2. Girls go Gaga Barnard's all-women's a cappella group, Bacchantae, is known for indie rock and pop stylings. According to Rebecca Gray, BC '13 and co-music director, however, the group is branching out. "We're implementing a lot of change in the group," she said, including a new arrangement of "I'm on a Boat" and a Lady Gaga medley. As Barnard's official a cappella group, Bacchantae sings at a variety of official Barnard events, in addition to study breaks and two concerts per semester. Their final concert this year will be at 8 p.m. on April 30. Melodic men "We like to keep our music choices sexy," Ben Freeman, CC '10 and Columbia Kingsmen music director and president, said in an email. "Sexy like your grandma's lacy underwear you wish to God you had never seen. In other words, we sing Beatles, Beach Boys, Van Morrison, and other songs you could swoon to." The all-male Kingsmen hope to provide free alcohol at their spring concert in Lerner Party Space at 10 p.m. on May 1. The group also does a bit of traveling, making their way to Princeton and Wellesley this month after performing at the New York Yacht Club earlier in the semester. Taking notes Besides themed concerts based on "Avatar" and "True Blood," Notes and Keys has performed at the United Nations, Dylan's Candy Bar, and the new Yankee Stadium. "We try to stay current, arranging and performing pop music that is relevant at the moment. We sang a Michael Jackson medley as a tribute to his music shortly after his death, and we sing recently popular songs like Lady Gaga's 'Paparazzi' and Leona Lewis' 'Better in Time,'" Louisa Levy, CC '12 and the group's business manager, said. Their final concert, which will showcase the group's graduating seniors, will take place May 1 in Lerner C555. Smooth jazz Uptown Vocal is known for its flair for jazz, and as such, it has had some unique performance experiences. Often invited to perform at weddings, the group also recently hosted the Oxford Gargoyles from Oxford University and opened for a Ben Folds concert in New Jersey. Over spring break, Uptown Vocal went on tour. "We rented two vans and took our show on the road down the East Coast," Christopher Wang, SEAS '10 and Uptown Vocal president , said. The group's final concert will take place at the end of April. Recording dreams Nonsequitur's repertoire ranges from Top 40 hits to Sufjan Stevens, Taylor Swift, and Billy Joel. Fresh off their stint at the quarterfinals of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella at Brown, they also recently recorded a CD, which they completed in an EC Townhouse. "Basically, the entire group moved into the townhouse for a week. It was crazy," Elena Mayer, BC '10 and Nonsequitur president, said. The group's final concert, on May 2 at 8 p.m. in the Diana Center Event Oval, will honor its graduating seniors and mark the release of the CD. The group hopes that the CD, "Pass Us By," will be included on compilation CDs like Best of College A Cappella. "We're really, really hoping we'll be on BOCA," Mayer said. "That's kind of our dream."