Michele Cleary / Spec

With the football season over, the Ivy League handed out its postseason awards, and Columbia made a serious dent in the first team nominations. Columbia had five players named to the first team and eight named all-Ivy in total.more Sean Brackett, Alex Gross, Andrew Kennedy, Calvin Otis, and Jeff Adams were all named to the first team. Josh Martin was named to the second team, and Nico Gutierrez and Adam Mehrer were honorable mentions. Mehrer was also named to the 2010 ESPN Academic All-America Football Second Team. Five is the most players Columbia has had named to the first team since 1994. Senior linebacker Alex Gross led the Ivy League in tackles with 124 and is a finalist for the 2010 National Football Foundation William V. Campbell Trophy. Gross is a two-time all-Ivy honoree. Sophomore Sean Brackett became the first Columbia quarterback since 1994 to be named to the first team. Bracket led the Ivy League in passing efficiency and totaled for 2,588 yards of total offense, which led the Ivy League as well. Senior Andrew Kennedy finished 2010 with 50 catches for 616 yards and nine touchdowns as the Lions' primary offensive threat. Senior Calvin Otis finished with three picks and 40 tackles. He became the first Columbia cornerback since 2006 to be named to the first team. Junior Jeff Adams made first team all-Ivy for the second straight season after protecting Brackett's blindside in every game this fall. Mehrer was one of two Ivy League players on the Academic All-America squad. Mehrer is a four-year starter for the Lions at free safety and is on track to graduate from Columbia College with a degree in economics and a 3.47 GPA. He is the first Columbia football player to earn the honor since Darren Schmidt in 2006. Last season, Patrick Foley and Jeff Spear both earned the honor for the 2009-2010 academic year.

alex-gross all-ivy andrew-kennedy calvin-otis columbia-football ivy-awards jeff-adams kunal-gupta sean-brackett