Updated January 11, 4:15 p.m. Two assailants attempted to rob a 19-year-old male Columbia student on campus Friday night. According to the student, a young male and female followed the student off of the M60 bus at 116th Street at around 8:30 p.m. One of them attempted to take the student's phone from his pocket in front of Butler Library, which was closed.  "They didn't succeed, and I screamed 'Help, help, help,'" he said. A nearby student came to help, at which point the male perpetrator took the phone and both began running away. The second student chased him and pinned him down near the 116th St. gates. During the scuffle, a knife was found on the ground, according to the student. The student requested anonymity because one of the aggressors threatened the students further, saying, "My dad's going to shoot you," though it was unclear whom that was directed to. The two alleged assailants seemed to be between eight and 11 years old, according to the victim. "If it was a 22-year-old, I definitely would have run, but they were so little," the victim said. "When I was on the bus, they were just sitting on the floor," he said. "They were tiny. I didn't want to hit the kid, even though obviously I should have, but I felt too guilty to do that."   The student retrieved his phone from the boy, and the other student let him go. Responding to a 911 call, NYPD officers arrested both children. A Public Safety sergeant confirmed that there was an incident that resulted in the arrest of people not affiliated with the University, and the investigation is ongoing. Facilities spokesperson Dan Held said in a statement that on-campus robberies are rare, and in 2009 there were only four reported on campus, which includes University Apartment housing. NYPD's 26th Precinct could not immediately be reached for comment.

Robberies crime Butler Library