Courtesy of Disney Dreaming

Live from Beverly Hills, it's... another predictable batch of Oscar nominations! To be fair, though, there is always a batch of minor surprises, and this year does that inherited Oscar junkie wisdom justice. more Pleasant surprises:

Following in the footsteps of "The Hurt Locker," directed by Kathryn Bigelow (SOA'81), "The Kids Are All Right," written and directed by Lisa Cholodenko (SOA'97) snags a best picture nomination. This is surely the first time two BP noms have been directed by women; the other is " Winter's Bone ," by Debra Granik. "True Grit," one of the smartest and genuinely funniest Hollywood movies of the year earns ten nominations, including one for the Coen Brothers' direction, pushing an expected nod to Christopher Nolan, for his convoluted "Inception," out of the way.

Snubs:

Lots of great performances didn't make the cut in this year of great acting (if not great directing). Ryan Gosling for "Blue Valentine," a student favorite , Julianne Moore for "The Kids Are All Right," and Andrew Garfield for "The Social Network." Last, but not least, Columbians can celebrate James Franco (SOA'10)'s nomination for Best Actor in "127 Hours" and look forward to him hosting the ceremony.

here

academy-awards blue-valentine the-kids-are-all-right the-oscars true-grit