obo-bobolina / flickr

Don't have a Valentine today? Is your sweetheart too far away to bring you a box of chocolate? Felt awkward going to Hewitt's Valentine-themed dinner? If you answered "yes" to any of these, cuddle up with a pint of Ben and Jerry's, turn on these tunes, and feel comforted by the fact that love really does suck. more How Can You Mend a Broken Heart---Al Green This tune from the king of sexy R&B allows any lonely heart to shamelessly sob out the sadness. Okay, okay, if Al Green doesn't know how to mend a broken heart, I'm not sure who does---but who needs love anyways? Fistful of Love---Antony and the Johnsons I know you don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend tonight, but console yourself by really paying attention to the lyrics in this one---at least you're not singing about how your partner's "fist" is out of love. All I Could Do is Cry---Etta James Have you ever seen the love of your life walk down the aisle with someone else? Didn't think so. Love is a Losing Game---Amy Winehouse Love should be classified as its own sport with all the game-themed clichés it commands. Somehow, most of these end up being positive (Love is a game that two can play and both win, for instance.) Instead, listen to Amy as she tells it like it really is. Somebody to Love---Queen Why wallow in quiet desperation when you can sing along to this arena-rock anthem? Tease your hair into an acceptable 80s mullet, "get down on your knees," and "start to pray"---just don't be embarrassed that the rest of your floor knows you're suffering. Independent Woman---Destiny's Child End the night on a positive note with this DC classic. Beyoncé belted this song out even before Jay-Z. So pride yourself on being an independent woman (man) or single lady (gent) for now, and have hope that one day, maybe, you'll be able to hook yourself an international rap-star boyfriend.

playlists valentines-day