cdrummbks / flickr

All Literature Humanities students received an email from Chair Christia Mercer today warning against plagiarism and academic dishonesty in the class. According to the message, "there have been a number of cases of academic dishonesty in the past few weeks." The email continues, "I have asked Lit Hum instructors to be attentive to these matters." So watch out first-years, SEAS sophomores, and transfers, and make sure that essay on Montaigne's use of impotency doesn't look too much like your friend's from John Jay. Full email after the jump. more

As chair of Lit Hum, I write to inform you that there have been a number of cases of academic dishonesty in the past few weeks. Lit Hum students caught cheating on midterms or plagiarizing papers have failed the course. Students who are academically dishonest taint the intellectual environment for all of us . We must have a policy of zero tolerance. Students engaged in academic dishonesty will fail the course . I have asked Lit Hum instructors to be attentive to these matters. I encourage you to talk to your instructors about why academic honesty is so important to what we do. The vast majority of students have a very clear sense of intellectual honesty and scholarly integrity, but the more we discuss these matters, the more we encourage one another to have the highest possible academic values. In the fall, you signed an Academic Honesty Form that explained in detail what constitutes academic dishonesty. The form contains at its head the following statement of policy: “Columbia College is dedicated to the highest ideals of integrity in academia. Therefore, in Literature Humanities and Contemporary Civilization, any instance of academic dishonesty, attempted or actual, will be reported to the faculty chair of the course and to the dean of the Core Curriculum, who will review the case with the expectation that a student guilty of academic dishonesty will receive the grade of "F" in the course and be referred to dean's discipline for further institutional action.” For more information, see the Faculty Statement on Academic Integrity at www.college.columbia.edu/facultyadmin/academicintegrity

lit-hum plagiarism