Upper West Side City Council member Gale Brewer is running for Manhattan borough president in 2013, according to Politicker, a blog of the New York Observer. "I'm going to definitely do it. I haven't gotten myself organized because I'm working on so many different issues, but I will," Brewer told the New York politics website Thursday night. Brewer, who has been a City Council member since 2002, cannot run for re-election because of term limits. She told Politicker her experience sets her apart in the borough president race. "I think I have this amazing, long history. I mean, I've worked all the way back to [mayor] John Lindsay, so I have worked on nonprofit sector, affordable housing, education," Brewer said. "There's nothing that I haven't really worked on, and I think that's what I bring to the table—a wide knowledge of many different issues." Brewer told Spectator at the start of the month that she was "considering" a run for borough president and she would make up her mind soon. She did not respond to a request for comment on Monday. Recently, Brewer has made news for her role in the Paid Sick Leave Movement, oversight of food trucks, and work on the Columbus Avenue street redesign. Before entering the City Council, Brewer also held several positions in nonprofits and in city government. Brewer is entering an already-crowded field, which includes City Council member Robert Jackson, who represents Harlem and Morningside Heights, along with Community Board 1 chair Julie Menin and Upper East Side council member Jessica Lappin. "I'm always optimistic. I have a great district, and I've been working on all these different issues from women to affordable development for a very long time," Brewer told Politicker. "So, I think I just bring a long history, and in the last 12 years, I've been able to pass legislation I think helps people. It's something that I'd love to do on a larger scale, but I do love my neighborhood." Brewer would replace current Borough President Scott Stringer, who is running for mayor. The borough president reports to the mayor, making official recommendations, community board member appointments, and land-use decisions. casey.tolan@columbiaspectator.com

Gale Brewer borough president