I take it as a given that all Columbians—especially my fellow second semester seniors—recognize how vital job opportunities and security are to our holistic wellness. Even though careers fall into the vague and willfully neglected category of "future things," post-graduation unemployment stalks us throughout our four years at Columbia. And all four years, most Columbians usually direct their fear, stress, and frustrations at one source: the Center for Career Education. As April fast approaches and many seniors scramble for jobs, I hear daily tirades about CCE, its unhealthy focus on finance and consulting, or its failures to put on successful non-finance/consulting career fairs. But CCE cannot be the sole guardian of our career wellness. Though it is their job to look after our futures in a broad sense, student groups must take a proactive, vigorous, and early responsibility to guarantee their constituents' career wellness, whether they are pre-professional groups, work with CCE already, or think they have no direct interest in career options. In a number of meetings with representatives from CCE, the following stumbling blocks have become clear: CCE cares for the well-being of students and recognizes their role as an office that can provide not just long-term future services, but also the assurances and aid to help reduce detrimental stress and uncertainty in the present. But they also recognize that they as an institution are not privy to the needs of students. Nor do they have full control over the results of outreach to non-finance/consulting professionals Columbians may want to see. Even when they do manage to bring non-finance/consulting firms to campus in large events, CCE cannot guarantee student attendance to entice representatives and make the fairs worth their while, nor can they guarantee the attendance of representatives of groups who expect job seekers to come to them. Student groups, on the other hand, represent strong bands of intimate knowledge, networking, and insight into niche fields. Many students actively participate in some group, be it pre-professional or recreational. They gain their strongest sense of Columbia community, not to mention their most trusted information, through the student groups they participate in. And the connections flow back into the group as current students, alumni, and institutional memory pour back into the group, creating industry knowledge and connections. This knowledge and these connections mean that student groups—activist organizations, publications groups, service groups, or any constituency—usually hold the solution to the dearth of career resources within themselves. Students have the knowledge of industries they wish to see on campus and the tangential connections to reach them; they have the information networks and trust of their peers to guarantee attendance at events hosting representatives of these industries; and they have the interest, niche qualifications, and (with the right aid) the pull to guarantee representative attendance. Students and student groups, not CCE, are the answer to creating an environment of career wellness, reducing and accounting for the stress of the future some students feel when not seeking finance or consulting careers. Yet while I advocate for students to take the creation of career wellness into their own hands, it should not become the responsibility of groups, already saddled with their own formidable aspirations and programming, to hold the events, reach out to the industries, and disseminate information. CCE can and wishes to improve its ability to serve the campus by acting as the intermediary that helps students to realize their knowledge, aspirations, and connections and bring about a more equitable and cohesive environment of career wellness. Perhaps the best way for career wellness to flourish at Columbia is for student leaders to meet regularly with members of CCE. Outline the specific industries that one's members wish to meet with and learn about. Rely on CCE to facilitate, reach out, and organize, but individually co-host and guarantee basic levels of attendance at intimate, targeted, and varied events taking place at differing times to accommodate student schedules. Mobilize recent alumni to build stronger memory within groups, constant links to the outside world, and increase the chance of proactive and reliable representatives coming back to their alma mater to aid like-minded students in securing their futures. Every time I have spoken to members of CCE formally or informally over the past year, the message has always been the same: They are interested in diversifying past their historical pedigree of finance and consulting. They want to facilitate the kinds of micro-events and targeted outreach and recruitment that can answer all the concerns of Columbia students. It is one of the rare coincidences when all the ingredients for a truly well campus already exist. All it takes is for someone to unite the two threads and carry through. It may seem like an imposition on student groups to recognize a role in career-building. But with CCE ready to take over the heavy lifting, all groups need to do is accept, if they so choose, a vital position in building career wellness and begin the conversation with CCE. It is a win-win scenario worth the time investment on both sides of the equation. Mark Hay is a Columbia College senior majoring in religion and political science. He is a coordinator of the Student Wellness Project and the acting chair for the InterPublications Alliance. The Whole Wellness runs alternate Wednesdays.

Center for Career Education CCE career