Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

"Dürer to de Kooning: 100 Master Drawings from Munich," currently at the Morgan Library & Museum features drawings from Picasso, Michelangelo and Munich, represent a rich variety of masterworks from renaissance to the modern periods. The Eye talked to Jennifer Tonkovich, curator at The Morgan Library & Museum about the show.

Which drawings are the ones you are most excited to see personally? One of the groups that I was excited to see were the eighteenth century German drawings, because there are not many of them in this country, and they really represent some of the greatest achievements of the German Baroque and Rococo period. And Munich has such a wonderful collection and these artists are a revelation.

more And one of the other drawings that I was most excited about is a drawing by Matthias Grünewald, in part because he is such a rare draftsman. There's only a little over 2000 drawings by his hand. He is somebody who was iconic.

This is the first time to introduce such large number of drawings from a German museum. What do you think to be the cultural importance of such an exhibit?

In many past exhibitions, drawings do not often attract much public attention. What do you think to be the reason?

What are your suggestions for visitors who are not art experts? What should they have in mind when they are looking at these drawings? I would say go to the show and find what interests you. A hundred drawings are a lot drawings to look through. The good thing is I give a lot of talks, I take people through, and each time, it differs. A different drawing catches my mind; a different drawing interests me. People should go to the show and find what they respond to, what intrigues them, what they want to know more about, and then take the time to look very closely at that. I think that can be really rewarding.

eye-to-eye interview morgan-library qiuyun-tan the-eye