quicheisinsane / flickr

Interested in arts? Entertainment? Interested in writing a column, but don't feel sporty enough for Sports, or stuffy enough for Opinion? (JK-ing, Opinion. We love you.) Apply to be an Arts & Entertainment columnist for the spring semester! Applicants should be people with a strong, lively voice and an interest in the arts. A columnist is free to take on topical current events, discuss a personal experience, or do anything in between. Above all else, a columnist should be able to digest whatever they're writing about with a sharp, critical eye.more Over the years, we've had food, music, lifestyle, fashion, art, film, TV, and sex columnists (any aspiring Carrie Bradshaws out there?). If you have an idea, don't be afraid to pitch! Even more out-there ideas are welcome. We currently run a column called 'Drunken Spectator' that's a must-read. For a taste of what we're looking for, feel free to check out samples of past columns. To apply, please send the following to arts@columbiaspectator.com by January 10th, at noon: 1) A short description about what you envision for your column: the theme you plan to focus on, why you think it's a theme that's sustainable for a whole semester (running roughly every other week), and why it would be interesting to readers (a.k.a., the student body). 2) A list of five potential column ideas—specific topics you feel fit with the theme of your column. Briefly (1-3 sentences) explain what you'd plan to do with them. 3) A sample column, on a topic selected from the above ideas. This piece should be roughly 650 words in length and representative of what your column would be like, both in writing style and in content. Some frequently asked questions about being A&E columnist: How is an A&E columnist different from an Opinion columnist? While an Opinion column might responds to administrative issues, academics (the Core curriculum; pre-professionalism), mental health, student activism, and politics, A&E columns usually have a lighter tone. What can an A&E column be about? Our columnists usually write Columbia-relevant pieces (check out music columnist David Ecker's response to the haters after last year's Bacchanal announcement), but they always produce columns with student interest in mind. Why should I write an A&E column? An A&E column can give you an excuse to go on adventures and write about them. Plus you get your own headshot to run with your column! Good luck!

charlotte-murtishaw columnists columns meta-2