Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer

Tyler Simpson put up 26 points in the Light Blue's first road win in two years.

Brown guard Ellise Sharpe had one second left to save the game for the Bears (9-17, 3-9 Ivy) when she let go of a shot behind the arc. But instead of sending the game to overtime, the shot was off, and left her senior teammates winless in their last game at home. The Light Blue (4-21, 2-9 Ivy) defeated the Bears 58-55 on Saturday night.

The game stands as the team's first road victory in two years, a nice consolation for its 66-49 fall at Yale (12-14, 7-5 Ivy) on Friday.

During the Yale game, an assist from guard Janna Graf to Megan Vasquez put the first points of the game on the scoreboard. Graf ultimately tallied 19 points, six rebounds, and three assists to lead her team.

The first half jolted back and forth until guard Allie Messimer hit a trey with 7:35 to put the Elis up, 20-17. From then on, Yale never lost the lead, capitalizing on Columbia's 34.6 percent shooting performance.

"I thought we did a very, very poor job just as a team collectively of finishing our short shots around the rim," Light Blue head coach Paul Nixon said. "I thought offensively we did a really good job of executing the plays to the point where we were getting the layups that we should've been getting when we were on offense, but we just did not hit those."

The scoreless possessions allowed Yale to push the ball out faster than the Lions could keep up in transition defense. With fewer than 13 minutes left in the second half, the Bulldogs began an 18-6 run to seal the victory and improve its Ivy record to above .500.

But fortunately for the Lions, the next day's contest was a different story.

"I thought our energy was tremendous. We talked about the fact that it was Brown's Senior Night, and that they were going to come out with a ton of emotion," Nixon said. "We knew especially that their best player, Sheila Dixon, would really come out of the gate super strong."

And Dixon did, scoring 16 of her 20 points in the first 20 minutes. But senior guard Tyler Simpson outlasted her, sinking 26 points as the night's top scorer.

A suspenseful first half opened the meeting, enduring eight lead changes and six ties. The last knot came with a minute left, when Simpson dropped a jumper in the paint to match Brown, 27-27.

Brown guard Lauren Clarke responded with a layup 15 seconds later. Dixon followed with her own drive to put the Bears ahead 31-27 at halftime. The pair had combined for 27, matching the Lions by the time the buzzer sounded.

"We talked about that at halftime and really challenged everyone. And, you know, we were able to hold them to a combined nine points in the second half. I think that's what allowed us to come back and take the win," Nixon said.

Columbia indeed came back in the back end of the game, after falling behind by nine points. Though junior Taylor Ward tied it up to 31 two minutes into the second half, Brown held Columbia scoreless for four minutes thereafter.

Simpson finally broke the spell with a jump shot at the 14:30 mark. The Light Blue chipped away for five more minutes until sophomore Caitlyn Unsworth put the team within four points of the opponent.

"We really felt like we'd got a chance to not just stay competitive, but to come back and really win this game when Caitlyn Unsworth came in off the bench and hit those two three-pointers for us in the second half," Nixon said.

Simpson then added two foul shots to put the squad ahead for good.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUspecsports

Women's Basketball Tyler Simpson basketball