Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer

Dragos Ignat beat his singles opponents over the weekend, gaining wins over both Brown and Yale.

After two road losses last weekend, the No. 49 menís tennis team (13-7, 3-2 Ivy) was able to bounce back against Yale and Brown. The Lions had two comfortable victories over both, winning 5-2 over Brown and 6-1 over Yale to bring their Ivy record above .500. 

Against Brown on Saturday, the duo of sophomore Bert Vancura and freshman Dragos Ignat got things rolling for the Lions, quickly picking up the win at the No. 2 position, 8-4. Sophomores Max Schnur and Ashok Narayana also succeeded in first doubles, winning by a comfortable 8-2 margin to give Columbia the doubles point.

In singles action, senior Nate Gery quickly dispatched of Brownís Brandon Burke 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot. Ignat was the next to produce for the Lions, putting the team up 3-0 as he took out the Bearsí Mike Hill 6-4, 6-4. Sophomore Winston Lin had the honor of closing out the match, finishing off Michael Reichmann 6-2, 6-4.

The following day saw another great doubles performance from the Lions against Yale, with an impressive 8-6 win by Narayana and Schnur in the top spot, and an 9-8 come-from-behind victory by Lin and freshman Eric Rubin in the tiebreaker for the first point.

In singles, the Lions took five out of six matches to cruise to a solid win. The sole loss was from the No. 1 position, where Lin came just a few points short of completing the comeback, losing to Yaleís John Huang 6-4, 4-6, 7 (6).

The Lions now sit on a 3-2 conference record as they welcome Penn to the Dick Savitt Tennis Center next Friday before heading to New Jersey to take on Princeton and close out the regular season.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Men's Tennis Winston Lin Dragos Ignat