The number of forcible sex offenses reported on campus jumped from three in 2011 to 12 in 2012, according to a report from Public Safety released on Tuesday.

The crime rate for campus drug use is on the rise as well, while discipline for alcohol is down, statistics in Columbia's 2013 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report showed.

The number of disciplinary cases for alcohol decreased from 189 in 2010 to 136 in 2012, while the number of disciplinary cases for drugs increased from 113 to 147. The report also shows that two students were disciplined for weapon possession in 2012, up from zero the previous two years.

The report includes crime statistics for the last three years, as well as information about Public Safety's crime prevention programs, fire safety procedures, and other safety resources on campus.

The statistics in the report include crimes on campus and crimes in adjacent public areas. They are collected by the Department of Public Safety and are based on crimes reported directly to Public Safety and information provided by local police precincts.

Public Safety also surveys people with significant responsibility for student and campus affairs, including disciplinary affairs, for knowledge of crimes that may not have been reported to Public Safety or police authorities. This does not include staff at Counseling and Psychological Services, the Ombuds Office, or campus ministries, as these individuals are not mandatory reporters.

abby.abrams@columbiaspectator.com  |  @abby_abrams

Department of Public Safety Drug Use campus crime