Toomas Hendrik Ilves, CC '76 and the president of the Republic of Estonia, at the 2007 World Leaders Forum.

Get ready for a week of international intellectualism and your annual bout with Columbia's slothy servers: The scramble to secure seats for the World Leaders Forum is about to begin.

Global leaders—including a long list of presidents from around the world—will converge at Columbia next week for the 11th annual forum.

The weeklong forum begins Monday and includes speeches and audience question-and-answer forums with the presidents of Chile, Costa Rica, Estonia, Ghana, Namibia, Paraguay, Senegal, Slovenia, the Marshall Islands, and the European Council, in addition to the prime ministers of Albania and Italy.

The list of speakers and the schedule of events were unveiled Tuesday, and online registration for the first day's events opens Wednesday.

Wednesday's forum with President Christopher Jorebon Loeak of the Republic of the Marshall Islands is co-hosted with Law School professor Michael Gerrard, the director of Columbia's Center for Climate Change Law. Gerrard recently returned from a trip to the Marshall Islands, where he addressed the Pacific Islands Forum about the dangers of rising sea levels. The low-lying nations are particularly vulnerable to climate change.

On Tuesday, Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves, CC '76, will return to his alma mater for a second forum—he also attended the World Leaders Forum in 2007.

emma.goss@columbiaspectator.com  |  @EmmaAudreyGoss

World Leaders Forum Speakers Columbia Law School environmental science