Engineering Student Council reporter Katherine Kim brings you the latest from last night's council meeting.

What They've Done:

CUIT : ESC discussed a resolution entitled “Undergraduate CUIT Advisory Committee”. Authored by Columbia College Student Council Student Services Representative Loxley Bennett, CC '15, the resolution was created after complaints on WTF Columbia revealed an overall student dissatisfaction toward the technology services on campus, such as the Courseworks application and the printing system. If created, the committee would work to foster a direct line of communication between the student bodies and CUIT. After proposing a friendly amendment on wording clarifications, ESC unanimously voted to pass the resolution, which gives a seat to the ESC Director of Technology on the committee. Read the full article on the committee from the News Desk here . Website Revamp : ESC Vice President of Communications Jillian Ross, SEAS '16, announced a revamp to the current ESC website . Some new features include an interactive calendar of events and updated information pages on ESC initiatives. more

What to Expect

Grants for Engineers : The ESC Finance Committee, headed by Vice President of Finance Brian Wu, SEAS '15, is working on a formal proposal for the Engineering Projects Grants program, which would offer student teams a chance to apply for grants to fund their engineering projects. The goals of this program are to encourage teamwork amongst engineering students through collaborative process and to allow students to actively apply their skills in real engineering projects. Sexual Assault Transparency : Representatives from Columbia University Democrats gave a presentation on their petition to bring transparency on the issue of campus assault . CU Dems President Sejal Singh, CC '15, discussed the concerns with Columbia students struggling to gain access to the Rape Crisis/Anti-Violence Support Center in Barnard College as well as the center's limited open hours. To show support for the petition, ESC will continue to talk with CU Dems, and plans to draft a resolution on the matter. Meeting with Dean Kachani : ESC president Siddhant Bhatt, SEAS '14, will meet with Dean Kachani this Friday. He plans to talk to the dean about the issue of Curricular Practical Training for international undergraduates who are unable to obtain work-study positions related to their degree program because of visa-immigration issues. Spirit Campaign : ESC representatives will participate in the planning of a school spirit campaign, tentatively named “I am Light Blue”, that will focus on promoting school pride. Ideally, it will launch during Columbia's tree-lighting event on Dec. 5 th . Honor Code: The ESC Policy Committee plans to finish drafting the honor code by the end of this week. Open Position : Vanshil Shah, ESC Director of Technology, has stepped down from his position. The Director of Technology oversees all technological aspects of the Engineering Student Council. Any interested candidates must fill out this application by 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 20.
cu-dems cuit engineering-student-council esc katherine-kim