If your life is feeling a little dull after the excitement of Bacchanal, the Eye's got your back. We have something extra special in store this week. Every semester, we release one themed issue, and this week's theme is . . .  visual arts. Read on to learn about Columbia and Barnard's visual arts programs, the role of the selfie as an emerging art form, and the question of ownership in the art world. The Art of the Matter: In this week's lead story, Suze Myers explores the pros and cons of studying visual arts at a school like Columbia or Barnard, and what an arts degree from one of these schools might mean.

Mad Man: Mad Men actor Harry Hamlin discusses his character on the show, his education, and his advice for aspiring actors.
Are Selfies the New Rembrandts? Evelyn Kim examines the art of the selfie and its evolution to a photographic genre in its own right.

The Art of Ownership: Last month, a Matisse painting housed at a Norwegian museum was returned to the family living in New York City that originally owned it. Jacqueline Xu discusses the nuances of "ownership" in the art world.
A Towering Display: Anne Bompart discusses a new installation exhibit in Madison Square Park chronicling the immigrant experience.

eye-drops jim-cutler mad-men madison-square-park selfies the-eye visual-arts