Amelia Milne / Senior Staff Photographer

Peet's Coffee is the second cafe on Barnard's campus, offering cheaper coffee and a larger menu than Liz's Place.

Peet’s Coffee opened for business in the lobby on the ground floor of the Milstein Center on Tuesday in conjunction with the opening of the new building on Barnard’s campus.

Peet’s Coffee is a specialty coffee roaster shop founded in Berkeley, California with locations around New York City and across the United States. Hailed as “The Original Craft Coffee,” the chain is known for being one of the first widespread gourmet coffee brands in America.

In a spring taste test of various coffees conducted by Barnard faculty, staff, and students, Peet’s was chosen to be the new coffee shop on Barnard’s campus, according to the Barnard College website.

Peet’s offers a variety of coffee and espresso-based beverages, as well as bottled cold brew and assorted teas. It also serves a similar assortment of foods as Barnard’s other cafe, Liz’s Place, including bagels, pastries, paninis, and breakfast sandwiches. Peet’s, however, also offers topped toasts for $4.99, including options such as smashed avocado, peanut butter power, roasted tomato and basil, and strawberry banana nutella.

In comparison to the neighboring Liz’s Place, the prices at Peet’s are marginally less expensive. A small coffee at Liz’s is priced at $2.15, whereas at Peet’s it is $2.05.

Nonetheless, Liz’s Place currently has significantly longer hours than Peet’s. Peet’s will be open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, closing at 2 p.m. on Friday. The coffee shop will be closed on weekends. Conversely, Liz’s remains open until midnight Monday through Thursday, closing at 8 p.m. on Friday, and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays.

On opening day, Peet’s was bustling with business, and the slightly cheaper prices and plethora of new menu options will only grow its popularity.

sarah.robertson@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Peet's Coffee Milstein Center Coffee