Olivia Treynor / Columbia Daily Spectator

The new upscale eatery serves a variety of craft cocktails, including Paper Jelly Julep, Improved Grapefruit, and Bloody Maria.

For nights out or mornings after, a new eatery has infused Manhattan Valley with a delicious dose of Instagrammable flair. Tucked behind an unassuming dark gray facade, Nobody Told Me comes to life: A cursive neon logo illuminates the restaurant’s name against a white brick wall, positioned above a row of high-top leather booths, opposite a wooden bar and bold floral wallpaper.

Nobody Told Me opened in June, on Amsterdam Avenue, between 106th and 107th streets, under the leadership of Nick Pfannerstill and Alberto Miranda. Pfannerstill’s impressive culinary background includes cooking at Michelin-starred Dovetail on the Upper West Side. Miranda, the mastermind behind the bar’s innovative cocktail list, served as beverage director and general manager for the now-closed Belle Shoals in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Together the pair have created a restaurant committed to serving high-quality food and drink in a hip, welcoming space.

For those looking for a midday bite, Nobody Told Me’s brunch menu has a wide range of options for lovers of the sweet and savory alike. An oh-so-mandatory smashed avocado toast with poached eggs is elevated with a watermelon radish and calabrian chile oil. Crushed beet salad with kale, quinoa, and feta makes for another healthy and delicious choice.

For a mouthwatering table share? Try the truffle queso served with a baguette, vegetables, and root vegetable chips for dipping. In a collaboration with The Donut Pub, Nobody Told Me’s stuffed donuts satisfy a sweet tooth with chocolatey, fruity, and fried chicken varieties going for $14 a piece. All other brunch dishes range in price from $10 to $20.

An abbreviated cocktail menu with drinks like Death Before Decaf (rum, cold brew, lemongrass, and coconut) and the Improved Grapefruit (campari, grapefruit and vodka) is available to boozify any midday meal. Brunch is served beginning at 12 p.m. on weekdays and 11 a.m. on weekends.

The cocktail menu that emerges later in the day is clearly the centerpiece of the new establishment. 10 signature cocktails, running between $13 and $16, can be ordered at the bar along with traditional mixed drinks, wine, and beer.

Cocktails are served in various fun-yet-classy vessels like ribbed tin cans and votive candles. For a tropical concoction, the Guilty of Everything includes pineapple rum, carpano bianco, banana, and bitters. A spicy palate might be satisfied with a Pepper Jelly Julep with bourbon, ancho pepper liqueur, pepper jelly shrub, and mint.

Whatever you choose, the enticing evening food menu will make sure you don’t drink on an empty stomach. Snacks under $10 for the table include fries with a creamy leek dip and smoky ketchup, shrimp rolls, pea + chèvre arancini, and blistered shishitos. A selection of veggie and meat friendly main dishes are also available for dinner, including BBQ cabbage that comes with pickled yogurt and kale chips. Meat lovers might try the lamb ribs, spicy chicken sandwich, or double pattied burger. To finish off the night, the kitchen offers baked to order chocolate chip cookies served with amaretto milk.

This is a taste-first bar that prides itself on the quality of its food and drink as much as it does its neighborhood-chic atmosphere. Geared towards twenty-somethings and eager to join the upscale food scene of Upper Manhattan, Nobody Told Me is ready to be a trendy alternative to Community Food & Juice, perfect for a late night drink or a tasty first date dining experience.

Staff writer Sophie Smyke can be contacted at sophie.smyke@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Smyke Food Drink Restaurants Bars Manhattan Valley Upper West Side Nobody Told Me