Natalie Guerra / Senior Staff Photographer

The bar first opened its doors in Morningside Heights just over a year ago.

e’s BAR, located on Broadway between 112th and 113th Streets, has closed after just one year of operation, according to a message left on the door of the bar this week. Its flagship location at 511 Amsterdam Ave will remain open.

The bar first expanded into Morningside Heights just over a year ago, moving into the former location of the popular Mexican restaurant Amigos, which closed in 2017.

Known for serving food and drinks in a retro setting—complete with a jukebox, pinball machine, neon signs, and board games—e’s quickly became a neighborhood staple for Columbia students and non-Columbia-affiliated Upper West Side residents alike.

Will Cagle, CC ’20, frequented e’s and reminisced on cozy nights he spent there, describing it as “definitely the sort of bar for people who don’t love the typical bar setting.”

“I remember a relaxing night tucked away in a corner with a good friend of mine, sipping beer and moving our pieces in a game called Splendor, not even really needing to talk.”

In a statement to Spectator, e’s cited lackluster business as the reason for the bar’s closing and encouraged Morningside Heights customers to visit the flagship location. Read the full statement below:

“We loved being a part of the Columbia and Morningside Heights community. We had a successful year but unfortunately not successful enough. Please come see us at our Amsterdam location. We will miss everyone!”

Arts & Entertainment Editor Abby Rooney can be contacted at abby.rooney@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

e's BAR Food and Drink Abby Rooney