Yesterday marked a milestone that absolutely no one has been looking forward to—all the first-years have finally completed their required AlcoholEdu course. Well, let's not be optimistic. Probably about 85 percent remembered the second part of the three-month-long program was due on Friday, and the remaining 15 percent will be getting a few passive aggressively-worded emails from Outside the Classrom.more In any case, we're not alone. 36 percent of freshman at four-year colleges in the U.S. take the same online AlcoholEdu course before starting school. Designed to decrease alcohol abuse on campus, the course offers what feels like several days worth of drinking-related videos, surveys, and "choose your own adventure"-type decision-making drills. It was doomed to mockery from the start. Like any attempt to instruct people about alcohol/sex/insert social stigma here, it attracts snarky comments like flypaper. (Don't even think about making a "Yeah, I took the AlcoholEdu exam drunk" joke anymore—I've already heard about 300 people beat you to the punch.) The challenge with programs like AlcoholEdu is that its intended audience can already predict the lessons they'll be asked to learn, which makes them that much easier to tune out. But when you consider how tricky it is for these kinds of programs to strike the right note, I would argue that AlcoholEdu deserves some appreciation for being generally practical and non-pedantic. In its own words,...