The number of overall applications to Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science for the class of 2017 increased 5 percent to 33,460, following last year's dip of almost 9 percent to 31,818 for the class of 2016.

Jessica Marinaccio, dean of undergraduate admissions and financial aid, said in a statement that she was pleased with the higher turnout of applicants. The total includes the number of early decision applications, which alone increased 1.3 percent from last year.

"We are thrilled that so many students are considering Columbia as one of their college choices and look forward to learning about these applicants over the course of the next few months as we continue with our review process," Marinaccio said.

The class of 2015—the first class to apply to Columbia that had the option of using the Common Application—received almost 35,000 applications, a record 33.4 percent increase from the previous year and a record high number of applications.

Dartmouth College is currently the only other Ivy League school to have released its application numbers for the class of 2017, which decreased about 3 percent, Bloomberg reported.

Student will be notified in late March.

avantika.kumar@columbiaspectator.com

School of Engineering and Applied Science Jessica Marinaccio Columbia College Admissions