Washington headshot courtesy of Columbia Athletics; File photos

Clockwise from top left: Chad Washington, CC '15, who is on track to have the case against him dismissed; one of Washington's tweets; football head coach Pete Mangurian; students at Orgo Night, where the incident was a hot topic last semester.

The football player whose arrest for a hate crime sparked campus-wide debate last semester is on track to have the case against him dismissed.

Chad Washington, CC '15, received an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal on Aug. 9, according to court documents—which means that if he doesn't get into trouble, the case will be dismissed in early February.

Washington was arrested in May and accused of calling an Asian student racial slurs before shoving him against a wall.

"As we said at the beginning of this case, Chad Washington committed no hate crime," said Daniel Fetterman, Washington's lawyer. "The district attorney's office has informed the court that it plans to dismiss all charges against Mr. Washington at the conference scheduled in February."

The arrest brought attention to racist and homophobic tweets posted by Washington and his teammates, which some student leaders saw as indicative of deeper problems in the University's athletic culture.

The Asian American Alliance said in a statement that it was disappointed in the court "for failing to hold accountable those who perpetuate bigotry, hatred, and violence."

The Alliance also accused Columbia of not being transparent about disciplinary actions. The University "quietly ushered Washington and the other offending members of the football team offstage, thereby perpetuating apathy toward anti-Asian racism and other bigoted behavior," the statement read.

A spokesperson for Athletics declined to comment because it is against University policy to discuss legal matters.

casey.tolan@columbiaspectator.com  |  @caseytolan

Chad Washington Columbia football