Columbia can add three more names to its list of "geniuses."

Carl Haber, Donald Antrim, and Karen Russell were each awarded $625,000 MacArthur "Genius" grants to pursue research in their fields. Each year, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation selects 20 to 25 grant recipients who conduct innovative research in pursuit of a more peaceful world.

Haber received his Ph.D. in physics from Columbia. He developed a method to preserve rare sound recordings through his research on subatomic particles.

Antrim is an associate professor of writing at the School of the Arts. He contributes fiction and non-fiction work to the New Yorker and the Paris Review, and he has authored three novels.

Russell, SoA '06, has written two books and a collection of short stories. Her first novel, "Swamplandia," was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2012.

This year's winners were leaked by The Mississippi Sun Herald and then reported by Gawker on Tuesday evening before the MacArthur Foundation's official release.

Recipients are chosen after an extensive process that examines applicants' past research, their achievements in their fields, and their potential.

Columbia has a long list of MacArthur winners to its name. Last year, engineering professor Maria Chudnovsky and geochemistry professor Terry Plank received $500,000 grants. Other previous Columbia winners include Mailman School of Public Health professor Wafa El-Sadar and cellist Alisa Weilerstein, CC '04.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

MacArthur grant