The Zeta Beta Tau fraternity, which lost its brownstone on 115th Street between Broadway and Riverside Drive, will now suspend operations at Columbia until fall 2015.

Zeta Beta Tau national decided to suspend operations at Columbia after the members of Columbia's chapter resigned their membership in the organization, ZBT announced Wednesday morning.

As reported yesterday by The Lion, the fraternity will not have a presence on Columbia's campus for the next two years. Until the 2015 re-organization, the chapter will be considered inactive, a statement from the national ZBT organization said.

ZBT said it will grant current undergraduates who were members of the organzation "early alumni access" subject to the fraternity's approval.

Although the Delta chapter will remain inactive until 2015, ZBT will help the University prepare for its reorganization over the next two years, according to the statement.

"ZBT will be working with the University to continue engaging alumni of Delta chapter during this inactive period for the undergraduates while also looking at opportunities to collaborate on programming that will further illustrate the Fraternity's commitment to a positive fraternal experience for students on campus," the statement read. "The Fraternity will also utilize this time to connect with valuable partners on campus and in the community in preparation for a successful re-organization."

A Student Affairs spokesperson confirmed Wednesday morning that the University's chapter will remain inactive until 2015, and that the school will continue to engage with the national organization.

The decision comes after a turbulent year for the fraternity. The Columbia chapter lost its charter due to a hazing incident, regained it, and then lost its housing after a victory party violated the chapter's social probation. The suspension of operations marks a reversal from previous statements made by ZBT national, Columbia alumni, and current students.

When the University revoked the chapter's brownstone in August, ZBT Executive Director Laurence Bolotin said in a statement that "The Delta Chapter of ZBT remains a recognized fraternity at Columbia University and will be working with the University to determine future housing opportunities."

Alumni and students also told Spectator earlier this semester that they were looking forward to rebuilding the chapter and moving in a new direction.

abby.abrams@columbiaspectator.com  |  @abby_abrams

ZBT Zeta Beta Tau Greek Life Fraternity